Are you planning your next cruise and thinking of trying every delicious sounding cocktail on the bar list? Then you might want to consider purchasing a drinks package. Here are some of the pros and cons of purchasing a beverage package on a cruise to help you make an informed decision.
Do you like to start your mornings on a cruise with a cup of premium coffee and freshly-squeezed juice? Enjoy a good book in the sun while sipping on a delicious piña colada, followed by some afternoon cocktails by the pool. And finish your evening with the perfect wine pairing at dinner? Then a drinks package might just be the thing for you!
What is a drinks or beverage package?
A drinks package on a cruise is a pre-paid plan that allows passengers to enjoy unlimited or a set number of drinks for a fixed price. Drinks packages can be purchased before the cruise or onboard the ship. Typically, drinks packages include a range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages such as beer, wine, spirits, cocktails, soft drinks, juices, and specialty coffees. The cost of a drinks package varies depending on the cruise line, the duration of the cruise, and the type of package.
It’s important to note that not all drinks may be included in the package, and there may be restrictions on how many drinks you can consume per day. Additionally, some cruise lines may charge an additional gratuity fee for the package.
Beverage packages vary depending on the cruise line and the specific package you choose. Most cruise lines offer several beverage package options that you can purchase in advance or onboard. An all-inclusive package for example typically includes unlimited alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, including wine, beer, spirits, soda, and specialty coffees. Some packages may also include bottled water, fresh juices, and other premium beverages. Premium packages include a selection of premium wines, beers, and spirits, as well as specialty coffees and teas. It may also include access to exclusive lounges and bars. A soda package will include unlimited soda and other non-alcoholic beverages, while a wine package will include a selection of wines that can be consumed throughout the cruise.
Below are some of the pros and cons of purchasing a beverage package on a cruise to help you make an informed decision.
Pros of purchasing a beverage package on a cruise
- Convenience: A beverage package can offer you the convenience of having access to a variety of drinks without having to worry about the cost. You can enjoy your favorite drinks, including soft drinks, cocktails, and wine, without worrying about the cost.
- Cost-effective: Purchasing a beverage package can be cost-effective, especially if you plan to consume a lot of drinks during your cruise. Most beverage packages offer a discounted rate per drink, which can save you money compared to buying drinks individually.
- Budgeting: A beverage package can help you budget your cruise expenses. You can pay for your drinks in advance, so you know exactly how much you will spend on beverages during your cruise. This can help you avoid overspending and stay within your budget.
- Variety: Beverage packages usually offer a wide variety of drinks, including alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. This means that you can try different drinks and explore new flavors without having to worry about the cost.
- Convenience of ordering: With a beverage package, you can simply show your beverage package card, and your drinks will be charged to your account automatically.
- Peace of mind: A beverage package can give you peace of mind, knowing that you have already paid for your drinks. You can relax and enjoy your cruise without having to worry about the cost of each drink.
Cons of purchasing a beverage package on a cruise
- Limited options: Some beverage packages may have limited options when it comes to drinks. For example, some packages may not include premium or top-shelf liquors, which may be disappointing for some guests.
- Limited usage: Beverage packages sometimes have limitations on how many drinks you can order per day. This can be frustrating if you are a heavy drinker or plan to consume a lot of drinks during your cruise.
- Non-refundable: Beverage packages are usually non-refundable, which means that if you do not consume all of your drinks, you will not get a refund for the unused portion.
- High upfront cost: Beverage packages can have a high upfront cost, which may not be feasible for some guests. If you do not plan to consume a lot of drinks during your cruise, then a beverage package may not be worth the cost.
- Sharing: Beverage packages are not transferable, which means that you cannot share your drinks with other guests. This can be a problem if you are traveling with friends or family who do not have a beverage package.
- Limited availability: Beverage packages may not be available for all cruise lines or all sailings. This means that you may not be able to purchase a beverage package for your specific cruise.
In conclusion, purchasing a beverage package on a cruise can offer many benefits, including convenience, cost-effectiveness, and peace of mind. However, there are also some drawbacks, such as limited options, limited usage, non-refundable, high upfront cost, sharing, and limited availability.
If you plan to enjoy several drinks throughout your cruise, purchasing a drinks package may be a cost-effective option. Nevertheless, if you do not plan to consume many drinks, it may not be worth the additional cost.