Princess Cruises has announced that MedallionNet, its high-speed onboard WiFi, will be available on 15 of its ships by the end of 2020.
The expansion of MedallionNet, the best WiFi at sea, means more guests than ever before will be able to stay connected whenever and wherever they are in a fast, affordable and reliable way.
Tony Roberts, vice president Princess Cruises UK & Europe: “MedallionNet offers a new way for us to exceed guest expectations by giving them the freedom to control just how much or little they connect to stream movies, music and sports and share those once-in-a-lifetime holiday moments with friends and family back home.”
MedallionNet is currently available on eight ships including Crown Princess and Island Princess which will both be based in the UK next year.
The other ships which currently feature MedallionNet are Caribbean Princess, Regal Princess, Royal Princess, Ruby Princess, Coral Princess and Emerald Princess. The enhanced WiFi will also be available on Sky Princess when the ship launches in October this year.
The fleet-wide rollout will continue throughout 2020 on a further six ships as follows:
• 2,600-guest Grand Princess on February 21. The ship will then sail on a number of different sailings to the Pacific coast, Hawaii and Alaska.
• 2,670-guest Diamond Princess on March 15 as it sails throughout Asia and Japan on a variety of departures from Tokyo, Kobe, Taipei and Singapore.
• 3,560-guest Majestic Princess on April 18. The ship will spend the year sailing on voyages across Asia, Australia and New Zealand.
• 2,600-guest Star Princess on June 12 as it departs San Francisco on summer sailings in Alaska.
• 3,660-guest Enchanted Princess when she enters service in June. The ship will officially launch in Southampton, followed by an inaugural season in the Mediterranean.
• 2,670-guest Sapphire Princess on July 27 before departing on voyages across Japan, Asia, Australia and New Zealand.
OceanMedallion, the cruise industry’s most advanced wearable device
The multi-award winning OceanMedallion, which is the same size as a 10p piece, has been designed to deliver an entirely new level of service and create a holiday that is more simple, effortless and personalised with:
· Expedited arrival – Guests who arrive at the terminal with travel documents (i.e. passports) uploaded to their profile enjoy a streamlined and expedited check-in process that gets their holiday started even sooner
· Touchless stateroom entry – No need to touch, swipe or insert cards or devices into the door handle to unlock the stateroom. As a guest approaches their stateroom the door automatically unlocks
· On-demand services – Using smart devices, guests have the ability to order drinks, food and retail items such as suntan lotion and have them delivered directly anywhere onboard, including to their stateroom
· Interactive game play – Available on portals throughout the ship, PlayOcean allows guests to take part in digital scavenger hunts, interactive games and create their own avatars, as well as turning their smart device into a game controller for interactive gaming on the Movies Under The Stars top-deck screen
· Family and friends locator – Accessible on portals throughout the ships and via guests’ smart devices, OceanCompass leverages the OceanMedallion to easily locate and chat with friends and family onboard. OceanCompass guides guests throughout their journey, providing directional information so they can seamlessly navigate to their next point of interest
· Interactive voyage timeline – Available on ship portals and via guests’ smart devices, JourneyView is an interactive timeline that lets guests scroll through all of the events available on board during their voyage and bookmark activities they’re interested in to their own personalised itinerary. Voyage itineraries are available as many as 60 days in advance, allowing guests to start planning before they leave home
Princess previously announced the dates when seven more ships will become OceanMedallion-activated vessels. These are:
· Sky Princess on its launch in October 2019
· Ruby Princess on January 27, 2020
· Grand Princess on March 29, 2020
· Enchanted Princess on June 15, 2020
· Emerald Princess on August 16, 2020
· Coral Princess on October 16, 2020
· Island Princess on December 20, 2020