In 2017 Princess Cruises introduced Medallion Class cruises enabled by the OceanMedallion – the cruises industry’s most advanced wearable device.
Considered a breakthrough in the vacation industry, the OceanMedallion features leading-edge technology that offers the fastest way to a hassle-free, personalised cruise, giving guests more opportunity to enjoy their time onboard.
OceanMedallion is intended to make every guest feel like a VIP and helps them relax and enjoy their cruise from the moment they are ready to step onboard. The device is the same size as a 10p piece and replaces the more traditional cruise cards.
The Medallion’s technology makes it quicker and easier for guests to get on and off their ship. Once onboard it opens guests’ doors when they approach, which is ideal for anyone who already has their hands full or is with small children.
The Medallion’s ‘compass’ feature means guests can find and stay connected with friends and family onboard, as well as navigate their way around the ship. It also allows guests to order drinks and snacks, plus holiday essentials such as suntan lotion and swimming goggles, directly to anywhere onboard including their stateroom.
OceanMedallion’s features include:
- A streamlined ship embarkation and disembarkation process, giving quicker and easier entry and exit
- Keyless stateroom access
- Enhanced interaction with crew members and other guests, e.g. staff can see guest’s individual food and beverage preferences and accordingly offer a more personalised service
- OceanCompass, which provides interactive directions throughout the ship and allows guests to easily locate friends, family and children
- Access for guests to a real-time look at their itinerary via portals throughout the ship, along with events and activities taking place during their cruise
- Interactive games that can be played on portals across the vessel including trivia challenges and a shipwide digital scavenger hunt
- A selection of casino games including poker, bingo and roulette available via guests’ smart devices and select portals
The multi-award winning Medallion is now available on Caribbean Princess, Regal Princess and Royal Princess. It will be introduced on Crown Princess on July 24, making it the first ship with UK departures to have the benefit of OceanMedallion, as Crown Princess is currently sailing a season around the British Isles.
Meanwhile Sky Princess, the line’s next ship, will launch with the technology when it enters service on October 20, 2019. The ship will then spend a short season sailing the Mediterranean.
Next year the OceanMedallion will be activated six more ships: Ruby Princess (on January 27), Grand Princess (on March 29), Enchanted Princess (on June 15, the ship’s launch date), Emerald Princess (on August 16), Coral Princess (on October 16) and Island Princess (on December 20).
Enchanted Princess will be named in Southampton and enter service with the enhanced guest experience. It will then sail a season in the Mediterranean before heading to the Caribbean.