Cherbourg is steeped in naval history and one of France’s greatest channel ports. Even the Titanic once stopped there! Here are our top five ways to experience Cherbourg’s harbour and naval history.
- Liberation Museum: One of the first museums to commemorate the second world war. Learn about how the port of Cherbourg played a key strategic role in the D-Day landings.
- Cide De Mere: This stunning art deco building is the former transatlantic cruise terminal, where passengers embarked on route to the United States. Now the home of the Maritime Museum, the building features exhibits on the Titanic and maritime machines.
- Hitch a ride on the heights of Cherbourg: to experience the paths of the Cotentin, and the stunning views of the harbour and peninsula, book a horse-drawn carriage tour. The routes explore hamlets in the heart of Normandy.
- Le Grande Rade: One of the most ambitious engineering products of the 17 century, the 4km rampart/sea wall has no connection to the coast. Get up close to the unique monument in a private or group boat trip.
- Fort du Roule: The first fortification built in Cherbourg has sweeping views of the harbour, having been built for its strategic vantage point. Re-purposed for WWII, the site also includes a network of bunkers and casemates.
Cherbourg is one of the must-see destinations during a cruise with MSC Cruises this winter. From Monday 24 October until Sunday 30 October, customers booking on selected cruises in a balcony cabin and above (including MSC Yacht Club) will receive a credit of £100 to be spent on board during their trip.
With 21 bars and 9 dining venues, MSC Virtuosa offers something for everyone, including two tantalising dining concepts. Indochine offers savoury Vietnamese classics with a French twist, and Hola! Tacos & Cantina is the fleet’s first street food dining concept, featuring all the favourite Mexican dishes.
After dinner, why not take in one of the two shows in the Carousel Lounge. On board MSC Virtuosa, you have the unique opportunity to admire two spectacular productions: AJEDREZ, inspired by the game of chess, and ARKYMEA, the story of a scientist in search of a hidden world. These shows can be enjoyed with a complimentary signature cocktail.
For a bit of luxury, MSC Aurea Spa offers a variety of treatments for both couples and individuals to further your relaxation. Choose from a selection of treatments, including massages and facials. The Thermal Area has saunas, steam rooms, ice & snow rooms and whirlpools for the ultimate wellbeing experience.
Cruises included in this offer feature a seven-day cruise from 29 October leaving from Southampton and stopping at Hamburg, Rotterdam, Zeebrugge, and Le Havre before returning to the UK via Southampton. A full list of eligible itineraries can be found on MSC Cruises.